Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where would Cinderella be without her GOWN and Glass Slippers?!

That's me...3rd from the left, in the blue/green ballgown.  The photo was taken at a friend's event - Masquerade Party at Grand Bohemian.  Pictured are:  Diana Simean (fiancee of Mark Kessler), Mark Kessler (SMU grad!), myself (another SMU grad), Amanda Wood, Barbara Hartley, Elizabeth Holubek and my husband, Rob Mackle (yes...SMU grad!).

It's not that I am shallow, but let me go on a tirade about how fashion can affect your life!

One of the reasons I was soooooo excited about this event was because it was the perfect occasion and theme to wear my circa late 80's, early 90's - blue/green dress that I had worn in 8th grade to an event and also in 9th grade.  My birthday is 1/3/75 and I'm almost 36 yrs of age as I write this with 2 kids - so here it goes - BRAG, BRAG, BRAG...I still fit into it!  (Little did everyone who was shocked that it still fit realize was that the power of EMPIRE WAIST is awesome!  My expanded hips, post birth would never fit into as Katie Perry would say - Teenage Dream, Skin Tight Jeans!  Lucky for me, my curves are now kickin!

I am just writing as an ode to this wonderful dress.  I first saw it walking by in Saks 5th Avenue.  There it was, in the CENTER of the evening department - on a model with red hair.  It was gorgeous, colorful, with shiny beads, a full skirt - the epitome of femininity.  I thought to myself, "A girl in that dress can have anything she wants!"  That dress was expensive!  But lucky for me, my mom sensed that this dress was unlike any other I have admired before and I wasn't really a high maintenance teenager - so we walked out with a dream turned reality!

When I put the dress on, I was transformed.  Gawky teenager?  Nope! I was royalty!  Unload the dishwasher?  I think not!  I had fun wearing the dress and it expanded my world view - go out, experience what the night holds, have adventures in life and meet new people.  Seek out these opportunities and wear whatever makes you shine in your own way.

I could have been married in that dress!  I admire other cultures with colorful weddings.  Not that I am dissing my beautiful white wedding gown - but my husband DID have a different reaction when he saw me, at 36, squeeze into my blue/green dress!  Junior League did a wonderful event called "Cinderella's Closet."  Members of our League donated formal dresses to our store so that girls who might not have the means....could have nice Prom wear.  They also had accessories and make up artists.  Everyone had a blast and with a little help from Fairy Godmothers and community friends - we just became girls helping girls get dressed up and having a night of fun.  Maybe their night will lead to other big nights!  And as much as I love and adore my blue/green dress - I think I need to pass it on, I was able to wear it one last time - but there is another Cinderella who needs my power dress!

I love you, Sak's 5th Avenue Model...for showing me the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment