Today I found out the last of my grandparents had passed away, Mom Grissom.
In shock right now because I feel a little guilty.
I hadn't called her recently, I was busy traveling, then volunteering in some fundraiser and accepting a board role, not to mention the daily grind (and fun) with 2 young kids and a husband.
My wonderful dad said that she passed quickly, and knew how much she was loved and died on her own terms.
I went to a friend's husband's funeral recently (Athina Dever's...John) and though I hear about Heaven and passing on fairly often, his funeral did make me feel better on the subject of death.
His funeral (memorial service) was so uplifting - it was if John had planned it - rock music (his favorite), cat photos and memorabilia and many dear friends talking about their love for John and their fun times together. And the minister at the end reminded us that one day in Heaven is like a 1,000 years on Earth. John will see Athina in a blink of an eye and Athina will never get over him, because John's Earthly body has passed, but their love still lives. That is how I feel about my grandmother, Mom Grissom - our love still lives and I know she is exactly where she wants to be - in Heaven, with HER beloved John (my grandfather) and she's probably tending the Heavenly gardens as I type. Then again, I hope she finally took my advice and visited the Spa...Eden Spa!
My grandmother was a beauty queen, Miss West Texas! She was a Chi-Omega, but the house burned down, so that went up in smoke! She was very fit, though smoked! (For several birthdays, I was given fitness devices or jump ropes, etc!) Amazing, the smoking ISN'T what killed her - now that is genetics! She was very intelligent and giving and always gifting everyone. Brownies were always the best with her and we loved modeling her shower caps! And NO ONE could fit into HER wedding dress when it came time for the granddaughters to marry - that gave her pride! Yes, she was a classy lady, spunky and could work a hair bonnet better than any Amish woman. Mom Grissom had personality and stood for something and we loved drawing on her chalkboard in the kitchen, even to this day! That chalkboard must be 100 years old...older than she was!
Anyway, I am still in shock and sad that the typical advice was somewhat missed - don't take for granted how much time we have with each other while on Earth, because you never know when it is your last day or a loved ones. I'm just glad she moved to much better real estate with a wonderful view and Heavenly neighbors! We miss you Mom Grissom....say hello to Pop Grissom for us!
Frances Faye Grissom, 89, died, Friday, March 26, 2010
Frances was born May 19, 1920 in Stamford, Texas to David and Ursula Prewit. Frances graduated from Stamford High School in 1938 where she was a yell leader and a founding member of the Sub-Deb Club. During her high school years she participated in various beauty pageants, including being crowned Goddess of West Texas. She attended Hardin-Simmons University and the University of Texas in 1939 and 1940.
On November 30, 1941 she married John L. Grissom at the First Baptist Church in Stamford, Texas, enjoying over 62 years of marriage until his death in 2004. They shared many adventures ranging from supporting John during his stint as an Army Air Corp instructor, community leader, and his career as a certified tax appraiser. She enjoyed participating as a member of the local music and garden clubs of Stamford.
She is survived by her two sons and daughters-in-law, David Lee Grissom and wife, Judith Pyeatt Grissom of Austin, Gary John Grissom and wife, Janan Gregory Grissom of Austin, five grandchildren, Jennifer Judith Grissom Mackle and husband Robert of Orlando, Florida, Garrett Davidson Grissom and wife, Keren of Sugarland, Texas, Julie Grissom Phillips and husband Todd of Sterling, Virginia, Gregory John Grissom and wife Jamie of Houston, Texas, and Grant Grissom of Austin, Texas. Seven great-grandchildren, Parker Hayden Phillps, Katherine, McKenna Phillips, and Raney Grace Phillips, all of Sterling, Virginia, Campbell Elizabeth Grissom, Samuel John Grissom, all of Houston, Texas, and Colin Grissom Mackle, Hayden Robert Mackle, all of Orlando, Florida.
The family will be receiving friends at the Tankersley Funeral Home on Sunday evening from 6 until 7 p.m. Graveside funeral service will be at Highland Memorial Cemetery at 1:00 pm on Monday under the direction of Tankersley Funeral Home.
The family requests that memorials be sent to the VIP Community Center at 508 E. Gould Street, Stamford, Texas 79553, or the First Baptist Church, P.O. Box 24, Stamford, Texas 79553.
No comments:
Post a Comment